Coronavirus death toll rises to 41 in China

The coronavirus  which began in China since December, 2019 has since spread to several other countries, including the United States.  Its death toll has rose to 41 while the number of confirmed cases in China increased to over 1,200, authorities said Saturday.
The uptick comes as China expands its unprecedented lock-down of 39 million people to contain the reach of the pneumonia-like virus.
Cases have been reported in 29 Chinese provinces, with 572 cases alone coming out of Wuhan, where the outbreak began, the South China Morning Post reported. Hubei, the province where Wuhan is located, saw 39 deaths as a result of infection, according to data released by local governments.
In an effort to curb the disease, officials have shut down all air, road, ferry and train traffic to and from the city. A notice from a gas station in Chibi, a city next to Wuhan, said local officials ordered them not serve customers with Wuhan license plates.

 

The city was granted a $288 million emergency loan from the China Development Bank to assist with virus prevention and treatment, the paper reported.
As of Friday, South Korea, Japan, Singapore, Thailand, Hong Kong, Macao, Taiwan, the U.S. and Vietnam had all confirmed coronavirus cases. On Friday Australia announced its first case, a Chinese man in his 50s who returned from China last week.
The outbreak has led to a somber Lunar New Year, China’s most celebrated holiday. Many public events in Beijing and other cities have been canceled. Temples and popular tourist attractions, like Beijing’s Forbidden City and Shanghai Disneyland, have also shut their doors.
By Rosy Onuh
 
Source: Fox News

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *